P ictured here our founder, George Leroy Todd, was a recent US Navy veteran of WWI. He learned to embalm in the Great Lakes region during the war after the Influenza Pandemic of 1918. Following his wartime service, he studied and graduated for the Askin Training School for Embalmers in Indianapolis and became licensed in 1921.
He joined Fred Caldwell in the Caldwell furniture and undertaker business in Rushville. After a short time, he struck out on his own and opened Rushville's first funeral home in his residence at the corner of 5th & Jackson Streets. Services were usually held in the residence of the deceased at this time. He also owned and operated the Todd Furniture Company next to Green's Photography on 2nd Street, downtown. He was a successful Frigidaire dealer.
He later relocated the funeral home to 424 N. Perkins St. He started running an ambulance business because his hearse could transport an ambulance cot. The funeral home remained there until our current facility was opened in 1948.
George L. Todd died of cancer in 1946 and is buried at Calvary Cemetery.